The interactive garden is finally starting to look like something impressive. With the base of the prototype built, I began hooking up the LEDs. I used the lights with an intensity of 3000-4000mcd and 1/16” diameter plexiglass rods. With the garden destined to be outdoors during the day, the brighter LEDs work a lot better. The 500-700mcd lights are difficult to see in a well-lit room, let alone in full daylight.
As you can see in the picture, the rods are quite bendy. I’ll be trying out the 1/8″ rods later this week and see if they stay more erect, while still being able to carry the light up the entirety of the stem.
I created the “flower” with 2 feet of 1” diameter hollow aluminum rod, sparkly yellow tulle, green electrical tape and childhood’s favourite art project, “Shrinky Dinks”. I was very pleased that the Shrinky Dinks I got from Michael’s shrank to a good size. They are incredibly difficult to work with though. I’ll need to experiment a bit more to figure out what method works best for getting them shaped as I want.
I sent the USB cable with two LEDs on the end (that I made last week) through the centre of the aluminum rod and affixed it to the top of the pole with electrical tape. I’ll need to come up with a better solution for affixing the LEDs as it didn’t take long before they had fallen down. I was going to add leaves to the “stem”, but I think that might be too crowded. I’ll have to finish installing the remainder of the grass before making a decision on that.
I’m starting to realize what a time consuming and tedious process this is going to be in the next few weeks. I’m going to be focussing on getting down to business with building the real thing, and then writing some code to make it musical. But first, a bit more testing…
If you missed it, check out last week’s post about the interactive garden.